The Unfinished Journey

I was supposed to get five items. The first two were keys. A man's voice told me to get the items; I felt a great urgency to do so.

I had traveled a short distance already, much of the time with Penny (who is my real-life girlfriend). But now I entered a maze of canyons alone. There were various families and clans there but they all got along well. They didn't trust me at all, and most of the people there believed I should be driven away. I scanned the group and pointed out one woman; she was holding a small key in her mouth, about a half-inch long. That key was the first item, but it was also a weapon. When I found it, her clan accepted me. The others still ridiculed me.

I searched the canyon for a way to press on to the next area but it was all sheer rock. A girl who seemed to want to help me showed me a complex, abstract, branching map. She said half the fun was finding a route to the end. Before I could finish studying it, I heard the sound of rushing water. I ran to the top of the canyon and saw as water poured in. The clans retreated to the high corners where they were safe.

But one of the women in another clan - the one who had been outspoken in wanting me exiled, walked out onto the water. It had frozen into ice. Five or six kids stood behind her. I saw the water warming up again, and getting thinner. I yelled at her to go back but she wouldn't listen to me. Then she looked down and jumped back just as the ice fell away. She was safe but the kids all fell into the water. I dove in.

The water was freezing cold and pitch black. By feel, I found each of the kids and shoved them to the surface. Then my feet hit the bottom and I jumped up.

Everyone was studying instant replay of the rescue mission I had done. Many were arguing I had just done it to win favor, not because I cared about the kids. They were analyzing my facial expressions. Eventually I was driven out of the canyon.

I walked along a board walk. I saw the Eiffel Tower across the water far in the distance. I called Penny. She had found another item and were going to meet up to find the last 3. I saw her at the end of a board walk and ran up to her. I spoke to her but she didn't acknowledge me - she was running to catch a train.

She reached the train and I put a hand on her shoulder. "Where are you going?" She stopped and turned to me; in that instant the train streaked away over the water. She had missed it.

"I'm going to see you," she said.

"But I'm here!" I cried. Then I woke up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment